Designed by Sir Nigel Gresley, the B17 Class of locomotives were built from 1937 for the Great Eastern's Express Passenger services. The B17/2 locomotives were part of the second build batch with boilers supplied by Armstrong Whitworth and had different springing to the first batch of locomotives. They were referred to as 'Footballers' or 'Sandringhams' because they were named after Football Teams and Stately Homes.
Transferred from LNER to British Railways ownership in 1948, the whole class was re-classified B17/6 over a period from 1943 to 1957 with the fitting of higher pressure boilers, providing greater power.
'Serlby Hall' was one the later re-builds when it became a B17/6 in 1957, First withdrawals had already taken place in late 1952 with 'Serlby Hall' surviving until withdrawal in April 1959 ; only some 18 months after re-building.
This model depicts the locomotive prior to it's re-building in 1957.
Please find below a list of useful guides relating to this product.